Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Beautifully Complex

"Each heart knows it's own bitterness, and no one else can share in it's joy." -Proverbs 14:10

This proverb shocked me when I read it. Mostly, because it is so unlike any other proverb that was recorded. I've been reading the Book of Proverbs for about a week and have been reflecting on different topics that are covered within it. I began with anything to do with speaking, the tongue, or our words but it wasn't until I focused on the heart that a thought got trapped within my mind and wouldn't let me go. 

Have you ever experienced the feeling that no one really understands you? At times in life, we realize our complexity and become overwhelmed with the human experience. We look in the mirror and find that the person looking back at us isn't a translucent, easy to understand, creation.


Not only are we complex, but each of us have our own individual ups and downs. Life gives us various experiences, whether they be difficult or joyous, painful or painless, that teach us about ourselves and the world. These experiences our completely our own. That's what this proverb has got me so caught up on!

We think that our friends, family, and loved ones share in our every triumphant and every heartache but the the truth is that no one but ourselves share in these moments. No one, no matter how much they love us or say they will be there for us, can honestly comprehend what we feel in the deepest parts of our hearts. 

At first, this idea made me very upset. What's the meaning of friendship? Why are we longing for relationship if no one can truly share this essential part of ourselves? 

I'm still not sure what the answers to these questions are and I'm not sure I ever will. But after many days of thinking this proverb over, I've come to appreciate the truth that it brings.

It serves as a reminder for me to never assume that I understand a person. It makes me weary of people's motivations behind their actions, but this proverb also allows me to realize that the people I meet each and every day have their own struggles and heartaches. They have their own quirks, and each are on a journey of discovery. 

Humanity is a complex organism but it is the complexities of individuals that make us each uniquely beautiful. <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment